SANTA ANA, Calif. – A parolee gang member was sentenced on Friday to 60 years to life in state prison for attempting to murder a Fullerton Police Department (FPD) officer by shooting him several times at close range during a traffic stop.
|Marcos Allen Bush, 34, Santa Ana||Found guilty by a jury on March 15, 2017, of the following felony counts:
|Sentenced on March 16, 2018, to
60 years to life in state prison
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Bush was documented member of an Anaheim criminal street gang and on parole for assault with a deadly weapon with force likely to cause great bodily injury, criminal threats, and domestic violence.
- At approximately 12:15 a.m.on March 17, 2013, Bush was driving in Fullerton with an unidentified passenger and was pulled over in a traffic stop by an FPD officer.
- The officer approached the driver side door and contacted Bush. The windows of the vehicle had a dark tint and the officer could not see into the back seat area of the vehicle.
- As the officer stood closer to the car to determine how many occupants were inside, Bush pulled out a firearm and shot the officer at point-blank range in the chest.
- The officer was wearing a ballistic vest, which prevented the bullet from penetrating his heart.
- As the officer stepped back, Bush fired out the window at the officer several more times, shooting him twice in the arm, once in the leg, and once grazing his hip.
- Bush fired several more times and hit residences in the area, then sped away and fled the scene.
- The officer fired two rounds at the suspect vehicle as it sped away.
- FPD investigated this case and identified Bush as a suspect.
- On the afternoon of March 17, 2013, FPD located Bush at an apartment in Anaheim.
- As the Anaheim Police Department and FPD attempted to arrest Bush, the defendant ran from officers, discarding a firearm and bullets as he ran. The defendant was caught and arrested soon after.
Senior Deputy District Attorney Gary Logalbo of the Gang/TARGET Unit prosecuted this case.
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 13NF0945 / March 19, 2018