SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced today to a court offer of 60 days in jail for hate crimes after threatening to kill Persian hookah lounge customers in Lake Forest.
|Andrew Alan Carruthers, 29, Lake Forest||Pleaded guilty today to:
|Court offer of 60 days in county jail|
Circumstances of the Case
- On Sept. 15, 2017, at approximately 9:00 p.m., Carruthers walked into BluFig Hookah Lounge in Lake Forest and acted aggressively toward the patrons, who were mainly of Persian descent.
- An employee asked the defendant to leave and Carruthers reentered multiple times.
- Carruthers threatened to kill individuals at the Lounge after exhibiting intimidating and aggressive behavior.
- A patron of the Lounge called 911 and the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) responded to the scene.
- Carruthers ran from deputies down Lake Forest Drive before surrendering. The defendant had visible tattoos of symbols associated with white supremacy.
OCSD investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Nichols, Special Prosecutions Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 17HF1253 / October 6, 2017