SANTA ANA, Calif. – A drunken driver was charged today with murder for killing a 6-year-old girl who was playing on a residential sidewalk in Fullerton when the defendant crashed into her.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Maximino Lagunas Delgado, 53, Anaheim||Charged today with the following felony counts:
||15 years to life in state prison||Continued arraignment
March 9, 2018, 10:00 a.m.
Central Jail, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Feb. 17, 2018, at approximately 2:25 p.m., Lagunas is accused of driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.23 percent down a residential street in Fullerton.
- The defendant is accused of driving eastbound on Gage Avenue in a small SUV and losing control of the vehicle as he attempted to make a left turn onto Lombard Street.
- Lagunas is accused of driving on the sidewalk and striking 6-year-old Jane Doe, who was playing outside.
- The defendant’s vehicle came to rest after striking a parked car.
- Witnesses called the Fullerton Police Department, who investigated this case and arrested the defendant at the scene.
- Emergency medical responders transported the victim to a local hospital where she was pronounced deceased as a result of injuries sustained in the collision.
- Lagunas has a prior DUI conviction in 2015 in Orange County. The defendant completed a DUI class and received a Watson advisement, which gave him prior knowledge that he could be charged with murder if he killed a person while driving under the influence.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Daniel Feldman, Homicide Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18NF0496 / February 21, 2018