SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged on Tuesday with throwing a Molotov cocktail at two homeless men in Anaheim.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Andrew Eric Mongerson, 29, Garden Grove||Charged on July 3, 2018, with the following felony counts:
||Five years and four months in state prison||Pre-trial hearing
July 12, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department N-3, North Justice Center, Fullerton
Circumstances of the Case
- On June 27, 2018, at approximately 1:30 p.m., Mongerson is accused of constructing an incendiary device known as a Molotov cocktail and riding his bike toward two homeless males on Katella in Anaheim.
- John Doe 1 was inside his makeshift tent and John Doe 2 was sitting outside of the tent near a bus stop. The defendant did not know the men.
- Mongerson is accused of lighting the device, throwing it at the victims, and yelling insults at them as he rode away.
- The glass shattered near the victims and the pieces remained on fire until it ran out of fuel.
- A witness contacted the Anaheim Police Department (APD), who investigated this case.
- On June 30, 2018, APD officers identified and arrested the defendant in Anaheim.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Susan Laird, Special Prosecutions Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18NF1903 / July 5, 2018